Causes & Symptoms
What causes heartburn during pregnancy? Well, there are usually two main reasons you’re suffering:
- Hormones released in pregnancy relax the muscles that normally keep stomach acid down.
- As your bump grows, it puts increasing pressure on your oesophagus, making it more likely for heartburn to occur.
What are the symptoms of heartburn during pregnancy?
- A bloated feeling
- Burning/pain in the chest area
- Bringing up food
- Feeling sick, or vomiting
Heartburn during pregnancy is common, and the good news is that there are safe and effective treatments for it.
As an anti-systemic, Gaviscon Original is specially designed for pregnant mothers because the solution does not enter your bloodstream - resulting in heartburn relief with the knowledge you’re keeping your little one safe.
You can also look to make lifestyle changes. Consider:
- Eating small meals rather than three big portions a day
- Watching your posture (a straight, upright back is good, especially when eating)